Why Life Teen?
- We want to introduce our young parishioners to the Catholic faith in a way that makes an ongoing difference in their lives.
- We want to build a community of teens at St Mike’s and allow them the space to realise that it’s ok to have faith.
- We want teens to encounter Christ personally and to be inspired to build a relationship with him.
- Life Teen is 100% Catholic and has been running for over 10 years in various parishes in South Africa and over 25 years in the United States. It is fully endorsed by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Life Teen International provides a website www.LifeTeen.com for Catholic teenagers and a website www.CatholicYouthMinistry.com for Catholic youth leaders – both of which contain great resources and articles.
Who is Life Teen for?
- The Life Teen program is for teenagers in grades 8-12.
- Life Teen is open to all teens no matter if they’re Catholic or not.
- Teens are encouraged to bring their friends.
- The above grades are combined into one group allowing inter grade friendships to develop. Small group discussion time takes place with teenagers of similar grades.
- Even if teens go to catechism at their schools, they are invited to be a part of Life Teen at St Michael’s.
Who is Life Teen run by?
The program is run by Steven Edwards (Youth Ministry Coordinator) and a group of 20 young volunteers called the Core Team. This team has been personally selected and trained for the role of serving and leading our teens.
If you would like to know more about our Core Team or if you that God may be calling you to be a part of the Core Team – please email Steven.
How does it work?
- Life Teen believes in a principle called relational ministry. This means that before we can expect teens to take note of our message, we need to develop strong relationships with them. We need to show them that they are loved and that they have a valued place in the community.Weekly Life Nights provide the space where these relationships can develop.
- Life Nights will take place after the 6pm mass every Sunday. These evenings will include a combination of talks, games, skits, discussion, music and prayer. Nights end by 9pm.
- Each Life Night has been design by Life Teen to be different, interesting and relevant to the lives of teenagers.
- Life Teen covers the entire syllabus of the Catholic Catechism in a 4 year cycle and provides opportunities to look at real issues outside the Catechism that affect the lives of teenagers.
- In addition to the Life Nights, other interactions include weekend camps, fun outings and social outreach projects.
- During the course of the program the Core Team will actively seek opportunities to engage appropriately in the lives of the teens.
- The grade 11, or confirmation group are required to attend the additional confirmation classes taken by Fr Harrie on Tuesday nights. They are advised and welcome to attend weekly Life Nights in addition to these classes.